The Kentucky Derby Museum Cookbook * 1/4 cup Kentucky Bourbon * 1/4 cup soy sauce * 1/4 cup brown sugar * 3 cloves garlic, minced * 1/4 cup Dijon mustard * 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, minced * OR 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger * 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce * 1/4 cup vegetable oil * 2 (1-lb each) pork tenderloins Combine all ingredients, except pork with a whisk or in processor. Place tenderloin and marinade in a ziploc bag in the refrigerator overnight. Cook 4 inches from a hot charcoal fire for 15 to 25 minutes or until the pork has reached 165 degrees F internally and has just lost its pinkness. Baste while cooking. Do not overcook or it will be dry. (The meat may also be broiled 6 inches from the heat for 16 to 18 minutes.) Baste often. Slice in 1/2-inch thick slices to serve as a main course or slice in 1/4-inch slices to put on top of French bread for a picnic. Serves 6.
* 1 cup bourbon * 1 cup brown sugar * 2/3 cup soy sauce * 1 bunch cilantro, chopped * 1/2 cup lemon juice * 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce * 2 cups water * 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped * 1 beef tenderloin, silver connective tissue removed (about 5 pounds) * oil for grillPrepare marinade by combining bourbon, brown sugar, soy sauce, cilantro, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, water, and thyme. Be sure tenderloin is completely trimmed of any fat and connective tissue. Fold the tail end of the beef back underneath itself so that it is of uniform thickness. Secure with butcher's string. Pour marinade over meat, cover, and refrigerate 8 to 12 hours. Turn meat over several times during that time. Prepare grill for cooking (or preheat oven to 350°). When fire is ready, place meat on oiled grill, reserving marinade [use to baste]. Cook over high heat with lid closed, turning often; occasionally baste. Cooks rare in about 30 to 45 minutes in the oven. Serve with Horseradish Cream on the side. Serves 8 to 10.
Whip 1 cup of heavy cram until stiff. Stir in 1/4 cup of drained horseradish. Mix well.
* 1 tsp. chevil * 1 tsp. thyme * 4-6 chicken breasts * 3 tbsp. bourbon * 1/2 c. maple syrup * 1 tbsp. vegetable oilMix chevil and thyme together. Mix bourbon, maple syrup, and oil together. Combine mixtures and marinate chicken covered for 1/2 hour. Cook on charcoal grill - baste with leftover mixture.
* 4 oz. soy sauce * 4 oz. bourbon * 4 cloves of garlic (or more) pressed * 2 fingers of fresh ginger grated * 2 oz. olive oil * Chicken; usually legs and or thighs however any parts can be usedAmounts can be enlarged depending on the amount of chicken to be marinated. Spread chicken skin side up on a flat pan one layer after marinating for a couple of hours. The longer it marinates, the stronger the flavor. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook for 3/4 hour. Longer tends to dry it up. The chicken can also be broiled.
* 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate * 1/2 cup butter * 2 eggs * 7/8 cup sugar * 1/4 cup all-purpose flour * 1/4 teaspoon salt * 1 teaspoon vanilla * 1 tablespoon dark rum, brandy or bourbon * 1/2 cup chopped pecans or black walnuts, optionalMelt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Beat the eggs until foamy. Slowly add the sugar and beat well. Sift the flour and salt together. Stir into the batter gently. Add the melted chocolate, the vanilla, liquor, and nuts if desired. Stir just until smooth and pour into a well-buttered 9-inch pie plate. Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 30 minutes, until the top is puffed and the center is just set. Serve with ice cream.
* 1 cup premium vanilla ice cream * 1/4 cup bourbon * 1 teaspoon vanilla * freshly grated nutmegCombine ice cream, bourbon, and vanilla in blender and process until smooth. Pour into glasses and sprinkle with nutmeg.
* 1/4 cup Kentucky Bourbon * 1/4 cup soy sauce * 1/4 cup brown sugar * 3 cloves garlic, minced * 1/4 cup Dijon mustard * 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, minced * OR 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger * 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce * 1/4 cup vegetable oil * 2 (1-lb each) pork tenderloinsCombine all ingredients, except pork with a whisk or in processor. Place tenderloin and marinade in a ziploc bag in the refrigerator overnight. Cook 4 inches from a hot charcoal fire for 15 to 25 minutes or until the pork has reached 165 degrees F. internally and has just lost its pinkness. Baste while cooking. Do not overcook or it will be dry. (The meat may also be broiled 6 inches from the heat for 16 to 18 minutes.) Baste often. Slice in 1/2-inch thick slices to serve as a main course or slice in 1/4-inch slices to put on top of French bread for a picnic. Serves 6.
Wine: Serve with a white Zinfandel, a Sauvignon Blanc or a light red wine.
* 1 1/2 pounds (765 grams) London broil, sirloin or huck steak, 2-inches (5cm) thick trimmed * 1 cup (1/4 liter) Bourbon * 1 cup maple syrup * 1/4 cup (6 tbsps) Worcestershire sauce * 1/8 (3tbsps) vinegar (malt, balsamic or wine vinegar) * 1 tsp Tabasco sauce (or substitue cayenne) * 1/3 cup (75 grams) mustard * 1 tbsp mustard seeds (optional) * 1 tbsp onion powder * 1 tbsp garlic powder
* 3 tbsps toasted sesame or peanut oil * 1/4 cup (62 grams) tomato sauce (or substitute BBQ sauce) * 1/4 cup (62 grams) honey * 1/3 cup (75 milliliters) Bourbon * 1/8 cup (30 milliliters) soy sauce * 1 tbsp hot sacue * 1/2 cup (122 grams) smooth peanut butter * 1 tbsp lemon juice * 1/2 tbsp garlic, finely chopped * 1 pound (1/2 kg) beef, lamb or chicken cut into 1/8 x 2 pieces wooden skewers, soaked in water for 20 - 30 minutes
* 1/3 cup (75 milliliters) Bourbon * 1/4 cup (55 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar * 1/2 cup (112 milliliters) soy sauce * 2 pork tenderloins (about 2 - 1/2 pounds or 900 grams) * 1 large cooking bag
* 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 3 chopped scallions (including tops) * 1/4 cup (62 milliliters) Bourbon * 3/4 cup (170 grams) sour cream * 2 tsps honey * 2 tsps Dijon mustard * 1/4 tsp salt * Freshly ground pepper to taste
* 4 pounds lean ground beef * 1 cup Bourbon * 3/4 cup chili powder * 1 teaspoon oregano * 1 tablespoon diced onion * 3/4 teaspoon salt * 1 16-ounce can kidney beans * 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate * 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce * 6 8-ounce cans water * 1 teaspoon cumin * 2 teaspoons paprika * 2 teaspoons garlic powder * 4 small cans chopped green chilis * 1 14-ounce can whole cornBrown ground beef and drain off fat. Add ingredients one at a time in order listed. Simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Makes about 1 1/2 gallons of chili.
* 3 tablespoons Bourbon * 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate * 1 cup chicken broth * 10 dried dates, pittedDuck Breast Marinade:
* 1 cup light brown sugar * 1/2 cup each: dark molasses, honey, maple syrup and orange juice concentrate * 1/2 cup Bourbon * 2 tablespoons unsalted butterDuck Breasts:
* 4 whole duck breasts, boned and halvedDate Sauce:
* 1 cup raspberry vinegar * 2 tablespoons minced shallots * 8 tablespoons unsalted butter * 1/2 cup Bourbon * 2 cups whipping cream * Salt * Cracked black pepper * Clarified butter
* 3 sweet potatoes, cooked in jackets * teaspoon cinnamon * 1 cup chopped pecans * 2 tablespoons Bourbon * 1 cup half & half * 4 tablespoons orange juice * 3 tablespoons butter * 4 tablespoons brown sugarPeel sweet potatoes and mash. Add next seven ingredients and blend well. Spread in medium size baking dish.
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup Evan Williams Bourbon
Soak marshmallows in Bourbon 1 hour. Spread on top of sweet potatoes.
For topping, combine:
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
For special effect:
Cut three large oranges in half and scoop out pulp. Fill orange halves with sweet potato mixture and top with marshmallows and pecans. Broil until marshmallows melt.
* 1/2 cup Bourbon * 1 tbsp. cooking oil * 1 tbsp freshly cracked pepper * 1 tbsp white vinegar * 2 cloves garlic, crushed * 1/2 tsp dry mustard * 1 tsp salt * 1 small onion, finely diced * 4 beef tenderloin or rib eye steaks
* 1 lb. fresh salmon * 1 tsp freshly grated lemon peel * 1/4 cup lemon juice * 4 tbsp whiskey * 1 tbsp oil * 1/4 tsp dry mustard * 1 tbsp dried rosemary * 1 clove crushed garlic
10) Turn pieces over, brush with marinade and broil 5 minutes longer, untill done.
11) Garnish with additional rosemary.
* 1 lb fresh swordfish * 1/2 cup whiskey * 1/4 c chopped scallions * 1 clove garlic, crushed * 1 tbsp vinegar * 1 tbsp sugar * 1 tsp mustard powder * 1 tsp salt * 1/2 tsp pepper
* 1 roasting chicken * 4 tbsp olive oil * 1 lb new potatoes, scrubbed and quartered * 1/2 cup honey * 2 tsp dry mustard * 2 cloves garlic * 1 tbsp fresh snipped basil * 1 onion, thinly sliced * 1 red pepper, sliced
10) Continue to roast untill thermometer reads 180 degrees.
* 1 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed * 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce * 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce * 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt * 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger * 3 tablespoons brown sugar * 1 tablespoon granulated sugar * 1 cup white grape juice * 1/2 cup bourbon * 1/4 cup waterMix teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, ginger, brown sugar, 1/2 cup white grape juice and bourbon. Stir until thoroughly blended. Pour 1/3 sauce on chicken pieces and mix. Refrigerate for 3 hours, or best overnight. Save remainder of marinade and refrigerate.
Braise chicken with marinade on medium-low heat until cooked. Remove from pan.
In a 2-quart sauce pan heat remainder of bourbon sauce and add 1/2 cup white grape juice and 1 tablespoon sugar with 1/4 cup water. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add chicken to sauce and stir until chicken is coated. Serve hot. Delicious over rice.
* 4 pounds spareribs * 1/4 cup bourbon * 1/4 cup soy sauce * 1/4 cup brown sugar * 1 Tbsp Dijon mustardPlace ribs on rack in roasting pan. Mix remaining ingredients and spread thickly over both sides of ribs. Roast in 350-degree F oven until brown and crisp (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours), turning once and basting frequently with sauce.
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter * 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined * 1/4 cup bourbon * 1/4 cup half-and-half or whipping cream * 1 teaspoon tomato paste * 1 tablespoon lemon juice * Salt and freshly ground pepper * 1/4 cup minced chives * Salted, toasted pecans, for garnish (optional)In a long-handled saute pan, melt butter, add shrimp and saute 1 minute. Add bourbon and use a long-handled match to ignite the mixture, shaking the pan until the flame dies down.
With slotted spoon, remove shrimp to a warm platter. Add half-and-half and tomato paste to pan. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce until it is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Add lemon juice.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Return shrimp to pan to reheat. Add chives just before serving.
Garnish with salted, toasted pecans, if desired. Serve with wild rice.